Help you repair the fundamentals of great sleep at night, so you can be the best version of yourself during the day.
Who would have thought that something as simple as getting a good night’s sleep would feel like such an impossible task?
We're determined to change that.
When we considered these staggering numbers in the context of emerging science around just how important sleep is to your long-term health, it became abundantly clear that the sleep industry has failed Americans—and that we needed to do something about it.
Americans aren’t sleeping.
- ⅓ of U.S. adults don’t get enough sleep
- 164 million people suffer from sleep issues at least 1x/week
- 70% of American adults report that they obtain insufficient sleep at least 1 night/month (with 11% reporting insufficient sleep every night)
We believe everyone deserves Proper sleep.
So we created a new sleep wellness company.
One that goes beyond a quick-fix to help you rebuild long-term sleep health.
One that understands that sleep is personal and considers your individual habits and lifestyle.
One that takes a holistic approach by combining high-quality supplements with coaching.
We're probably the only ones obsessing over your sleep as much as you are. But it's because we know how much it matters.
We know that it affects your life outside of the bedroom.
We know that you've tried everything to fix it, and then tried it again.
We know that the sleep industry has let you down, and we know that you're tired.
That's why we're not messing around.
Here's to the end of tossing + turning.
Our natural, PhD-developed supplements contain rigorously vetted ingredients for deeper, better quality sleep that addresses different sleep needs, goals, + biochemistries.
Optimal sleep wellness requires behavioral change that identifies root cause issues, which is why we offer a first-of-its-kind, evidence-backed sleep coaching program developed by Allison Siebern, PhD, CBSM, an Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor at Stanford.
Discovery Experience customers complete a baseline assessment and, over the course of the month cycling through supplement samples, keep a daily digital sleep journal for a more holistic understanding of how daily behaviors impact key sleep metrics.
Helping Americans get their 40 winks has never been more necessary as the country faces what some health experts have called a sleep epidemic.
The Sleep + Restore supplement contains standard melatonin for falling asleep and extended-release melatonin that helps you remain asleep during the night. The capsules are not flavored, nor do they contain any sugar, GMOs, or artificial colors.
Proper is by far the most medically-backed method I've tried. Unlike other melatonin products, these release the melatonin slowly, so they promise to not only put you asleep, but also keep you asleep. I definitely notice that I am able to sleep through the night more often, not just get knocked out.
My personal sleep expert first helped me examine my lifestyle habits and home environment, then worked to create a personalized plan to help me fix my sleep schedule and finally get some much-needed z’s.
Proper has tapped medical professionals with lots of fancy degrees, and an executive team stacked with consumer product goods, digital,marketing and health care experience to develop supplements and personalized coaching to get people on the right track with their REM.
Our Scientific & Medical Advisory Council
Proper's evidence-backed, holistic sleep solution was developed in partnership with leading doctors in integrative sleep medicine, clinical psychology, and nutritional biochemistry.
Allison Siebern, PhD, CBSM
Head Sleep Science Advisor
- Stanford-trained sleep specialist + licensed clinical psychologist
- Board-certified in Behavioral Sleep Medicine + extensively published in peer-reviewed journals
- Specialties: integrative treatments for sleep disorders + neurological wellness
"Proper sleep is figuring out what works for you and what gives you a better quality of life. Ultimately, we care about sleep because it affects how we feel during the daytime. It's really more about quality of life, and if we are engaging in the things that we value and that gives us purpose, and getting proper sleep really helps bring us in that direction."
Alice D. Hirschel, PhD
Head Formulation Scientist
- 19 years of experience in research + product formulation
- Currently Technical Business Director at ABITEC Corporation, previously Product Development Scientist at GNC
- PhD in Nutritional Science from the University of Texas at Austin
- Regularly consults on formulation development, clinical studies, + scientific literature to support label claims
"From the beginning, Proper emphasized the need to be science backed, which aligns with my expertise and experience. There are a lot of products on the market that may use clinically studied ingredients, but they may not include the appropriate dose. Proper's ingredients were not only chosen for their clinical studies, but were included at the right dosage to target different aspects of sleep in the sleep cycle."
David Casarett MD, MA
- Palliative care physician + health services researcher
- Professor of Medicine at Duke University + Chief of Palliative Care
- Author of 100+ articles in journals including JAMA + The New England Journal of Medicine
- Writing has appeared in Discover, Newsweek, the New York Times, + Wired
- Recipient of the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers
- Author of Stoned: A Doctor’s Case for Medical Marijuana
"I have to believe there are other, better options to get you to better sleep, and Proper’s strategy of natural remedies plus coaching is really exciting. If we can help even a few people get away from lifelong dependence on OTC drugs or prescription medications, that’s a big win."
Adam Perlman, MD, MPH
- Director for Integrative Health & Wellbeing for Mayo Clinic Florida
- Board-certified in internal medicine
- Previously Associate Vice President for Health and Wellness for the Duke University Health System
- Medical degree & Master of Public Health from Boston University School of Medicine
"One of the biggest challenges facing consumers is finding the sleep solution that works best for them — they are typically left to figure out what works best through trial and error without any guidance. The advantage with Proper is that consumers have access to high quality, evidence-based supplements and the ability to connect with a sleep coach who can provide a guided and personalized approach to improving their sleep."
Ruchir P. Patel MD, MB BCh, FACP
- Fellowship-trained sleep medicine specialist + double board-certified in Sleep Medicine + Internal Medicine
- Founded The Insomnia and Sleep Institute of Arizona in Scottsdale, AZ
- Received his medical degree from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, followed by his residency in Internal Medicine at Henry Ford Hospital + a fellowship training program in Sleep Disorders Medicine at Rush University Medical Center
"The big issue that Proper is addressing is access to sleep care, because there are not enough of us that are formally trained in sleep medicine. Proper is implementing a new way to get individuals to recognize the importance of good sleep and learn ways to improve their sleep."
Eileen Leary, PhD, RPSGT, RST
- 20+ years of research + data analysis experience
- MS + PhD in Epidemiology + Clinical Research from Stanford University
- Began her career as a sleep technologist before transitioning to data science to improve the quality of life for people with sleep problems with new diagnostic tools
"I've been in sleep medicine for some time, and I'm skeptical about a lot of supplements. I have a lot of concern about the lack of regulation related to supplements. When I first met with the Proper team, I wanted to see if the product actually works and the evidence behind the ingredients to show that there's a difference between the results versus a placebo effect."
Dr. Siobhan Hanlon, ND
- One of New York’s leading Naturopathic doctors
- Prior to earning her doctorate, Dr. Hanlon counseled troubled individuals in an intensive outpatient substance abuse program as a social worker and youth counselor
- Earned her doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine at the University of Bridgeport
"When I learned more about what ingredients Proper was using, I immediately loved it because I love the herbs they picked and the specific forms of the nutrients. Often, you will see incorrect forms of vitamins in supplements, and that always frustrates me. I am excited by what Proper is creating with their line of sleep supplements."
Michael T. Smith, PhD, CBSM, DBSM
- Clinical Sleep Psychologist, board-certified in Behavioral Sleep Medicine
- Co-founded of the Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine + founded the Johns Hopkins Behavioral Sleep Medicine Clinic
- 20-year history of NIH-funded research on insomnia
- Directs the Behavioral Medicine Division in the Department of Psychiatry + Co-Directs the Johns Hopkins Biobehavioral Pain Research Training Program
“What interests me in working with Proper is that I find it rare for a supplement company totruly dedicate themselves to only providing evidence solutions, high-quality ingredients and recognize the critical importance of a trusting human relationship in sustaining healthy lifestyle goals.”
Meet Proper's founding team
Nancy brings general management and marketing expertise from start-ups to new ventures in the Fortune 100 across consumer tech, CPG, and retail. She's led teams and scaled innovative businesses like: Walmart Online Grocery, Modcloth, Chairish (co-founder & CMO), SAP Concur (TripIt), eBay Global Classifieds, Yahoo!, and the Coca-Cola Company. She is also an advisor and investor in LaunchDarkly. She holds a BA from Georgetown and an MBA from Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management. She is a former Army Officer and Parsons School of Design Architecture student.
Kamiu leads Business Operations, Finance, and Marketing at Proper. She previously worked as VP of Strategy & Operations at ACTIVATE (formerly Bloglovin', acquired by Impact), before taking on the role of CEO. She started her career as an investment banker, before various roles at Ralph Lauren, Rent The Runway, Gotham Ventures, and Refinery29. She holds a BA from Boston University and MBA from Columbia. Kamiu is a passionate home cook, amateur photographer, and studied for 6 years at the School of American Ballet.
Our CommitmentShop Now
Continually innovate to create the most personalized, evidence backed, and integrative approach to improving your long-term sleep health
Happiness GuaranteeShop Now
Sleep isn’t one-size-fits-all. Many see improvements the first night and full benefits after several weeks. If that's not the case, please reach out and let us know - we'll work to make it right.
Find a StoreShop Now
Now you can find our Core Sleep and Sleep + Calm formulations in over 900 CVS Pharmacy® locations across the US.